Former mayor Fred Eisenberger will return to office this December after winning with 39.9 percent of the vote.
By Ryan McGreal
Published October 28, 2014
Fred Eisenberger is Hamilton's next mayor.
Outgoing Mayor Bob Bratina shares a word with Mayor-elect Fred Eisenberger (Image Credit: Jason Leach)
Eisenberger won tonight's election with 39.9 percent of votes cast. Brad Clark came in second place with 31.5 percent and Brian McHattie came in third place with 20.4 percent.
(Note that all results are unofficial until confirmed by the City Clerk.)
|Fred EISENBERGER 39.93%||49,020||39.93%|
|Brad CLARK 31.53%||38,706||31.53%|
|Brian McHATTIE 20.38%||25,020||20.38%|
|Michael BALDASARO 2.87%||3,518||2.87%|
|Crystal LAVIGNE 1.56%||1,910||1.56%|
|Ejaz BUTT 1.29%||1,579||1.29%|
|Michael A. PATTISON||763||0.62%|
Eisenberger was mayor from 2006 to 2010 after beating incumbent Larry Di Ianni by just 452 votes. Di Ianni had just pleaded guilty to six charges of violating the Municipal Elections Act by accepting campaign donations in excess of legal limits.
In 2010, Eisenberger lost his re-election bid to Bob Bratina, who ran on a bare-bones platform but enjoyed strong name recognition from his years as a football announcer and radio personality.
This time around, Eisenberger is the candidate with a minimal platform but strong name recognition. He ran an affable campaign that avoided controversy and sought to strike a middle ground on contentious issues - like the city's Light Rail Transit (LRT) plan, which Eisenberger supports but wants to see reviewed by a citizen panel.
In all, 124,550 people cast a vote for mayor out of 366,124 eligible voters, for a turnout of just 34 percent - significantly lower than 2010's turnout of 40 percent.
The City has also published poll by poll results for election data junkies.
In Ward 1 (West Hamilton), Aidan Johnson (see his RTH candidate page) won with 34.7 percent of the vote, followed by Sandy Shaw with 27.4 percent and Jason Allen with 12 percent.
|Aidan JOHNSON 34.69%||3030||34.69%|
|Sandy SHAW 27.36%||2390||27.36%|
|Jason ALLEN 12.02%||1050||12.02%|
|Tony GRECO 11.72%||1024||11.72%|
|Brian LEWIS 7.34%||641||7.34%|
|Ira ROSEN 6.87%||600||6.87%|
Ward 1 was vacated when its current Councillor, Brian McHattie, decided to run for mayor.
In Ward 3 (Hamilton Centre), Matthew Green (see his RTH candidate page) took a commanding lead in a crowd of 15 contenders with 40.7 percent of votes cast. Ralph Agostino came second with 17.5 percent and Drina Omazic came third with 11.8 percent.
|Matthew GREEN 40.72%||2852||40.72%|
|Ralph AGOSTINO 17.55%||1229||17.55%|
|Drina OMAZIC 11.78%||825||11.78%|
|Mark DiMILLO 7.50%||525||7.50%|
|Sean GIBSON 5.15%||361||5.15%|
|Tim SIMMONS 4.77%||334||4.77%|
|Bob ASSADOURIAN 4.71%||330||4.71%|
|Brian KELLY 2.46%||172||2.46%|
|Maria ANASTASIOU 1.33%||93||1.33%|
|Byron Wayne MILLETTE 1.04%||73||1.04%|
Incumbent Ward 3 councillor Bernie Morelli died earlier this year. Former Mayor Bob Morrow sat in as an appointed councillor and agreed that he would not run for re-election.
In Ward 9 (Stoney Creek), Doug Conley (see his RTH candidate page) won with 26.2 percent of the vote. Nancy Fiorentino came second with 20.7 percent and Cam Galindo came third with 19.4 percent.
|Doug CONLEY 26.17%||1750||26.17%|
|Nancy FIORENTINO 20.66%||1381||20.66%|
|Cam GALINDO 19.35%||1294||19.35%|
|Marie ROBBINS 15.90%||1063||15.90%|
|Geraldine McMULLEN 10.20%||682||10.20%|
|Tone MARRONE 2.90%||194||2.90%|
|Frank RUKAVINA 2.83%||189||2.83%|
|Lee AUSTIN 1.21%||81||1.21%|
Ward 9 was vacated when its current Councillor, Brad Clark, decided to run for mayor.
In Ward 13 (Dundas), Arlene Vanderbeek (see her RTH candidate page) won with 42.6 percent of the vote. Toby Yull came second with 24.4 percent and Rick Court came third with 15.8 percent.
|Arlene VANDERBEEK 42.56%||3468||42.56%|
|Toby YULL 24.40%||1988||24.40%|
|Rick COURT 15.77%||1285||15.77%|
|Danya SCIME 6.33%||516||6.33%|
|Marc Rhéal RISDALE 4.87%||397||4.87%|
|Mark COULL 3.47%||283||3.47%|
|Pamela MITCHELL 1.01%||82||1.01%|
Ward 13 was vacated when its current Councillor, Russ Powers, decided not to run again. Vanderbeek served as Powers' executive assistant.
Every incumbent councillor who ran for re-election won by a large margin.
In 2010, Jason Farr won Ward 2 (Downtown) with just 21 percent of the vote, followed closely by Matt Jelly with 18.7 percent. This time, Farr took a commanding 66.4 percent of votes cast.
Terri Wallis came a distant second with 12.8 percent, and Kristina Heaton came third with 10.7 percent.
|Jason FARR 66.35%||4078||66.35%|
|Terri WALLIS 12.79%||786||12.79%|
|Kristina HEATON 10.71%||658||10.71%|
|John VAIL 6.07%||373||6.07%|
|Ed DALLAS 2.33%||143||2.33%|
|Ryan HENRY 1.76%||108||1.76%|
In Ward 4 (East Hamilton), Sam Merulla mopped up 82.5 percent of the votes. No other candidate even broke double digits in percent of votes cast.
|Sam MERULLA 82.49%||5654||82.49%|
|Tina WHALEN 8.21%||563||8.21%|
|Lorna MOREAU 5.94%||407||5.94%|
|John LAURIE 3.36%||230||3.36%|
Chad Collins retained Ward 5 (Redhill) with 71.6 percent of votes cast. David Brown came second with 13.2 percent and George Rusich came a very close third with just one vote fewer than Brown.
|Chad COLLINS 71.58%||6138||71.58%|
|David BROWN 13.22%||1134||13.22%|
|George RUSICH 13.21%||1133||13.21%|
|Larry STORM 1.98%||170||1.98%|
Tom Jackson dominated Ward 6 (East Mountain) with 80.8 percent of the vote, followed by Dan Rodrigues with 11.5 percent and Brad Olynchuk with 7.6 percent.
|Tom JACKSON 80.83%||7886||80.83%|
|Dan RODRIGUES 11.53%||1125||11.53%|
|Brad OLYNCHUK 7.64%||745||7.64%|
Scott Duvall held onto Ward 7 (Central Mountain) with an overwhelming 79.1 percent of votes cast. Keith Beck came second with 12.4 percent and Greg Burghall came third with 8.46 percent.
|Scott DUVALL 79.12%||9956||79.12%|
|Keith BECK 12.41%||1562||12.41%|
|Greg BURGHALL 8.46%||1065||8.46%|
Terry Whitehead retained Ward 8 (West Mountain) with 76.5 percent of the vote. His only competitor, Joshua Peter Czeringa, took the remaining 23.5 percent.
|Terry WHITEHEAD 76.54%||9364||76.54%|
|Joshua Peter CZERNIGA 23.46%||2870||23.46%|
In Ward 10 (Stoney Creek), Maria Pearson held onto her seat with "only" 58 percent of the vote. Teresa DiFalco of The Hamiltonian website came a strong second with 33.9 percent.
|Maria PEARSON 58.03%||4090||58.03%|
|Teresa DiFALCO 33.91%||2390||33.91%|
|Luana YACHETTI 8.06%||568||8.06%|
In 2010, Brenda Johnson edged out then-incumbent Dave Mitchell in Ward 11 (Glanbrook, Winona) by just 245 votes. This time, she dominated the ward with 83.5 percent of the vote, followed by Vincenzo Rigitano with the other 16.5 percent.
|Brenda JOHNSON 83.45%||7873||83.45%|
|Vincenzo RIGITANO 16.55%||1561||16.55%|
In Ward 12 (Ancaster), Lloyd Ferguson held onto his seat with 78.8 percent of the vote. John F. F. Iachelli came second with 7.8 percent and Grace Bryson came third with 7 percent.
|Lloyd FERGUSON 78.75%||7313||78.75%|
|John F. F. IACHELLI 7.83%||727||7.83%|
|Grace BRYSON 7.00%||650||7.00%|
|Anthony NICHOLL 6.42%||596||6.42%|
In 2010, Robert Pasuta was acclaimed in Ward 14 (Wentworth) as the only candidate. This time, he won against two opponents with a commanding 85.4 percent of the vote. Scott Stewart (not the former general manager of Public Works) came second with 10.4 percent and Steven Knowles came third with 4 percent.
|Robert PASUTA 85.38%||3451||85.38%|
|Scott STEWART 10.42%||421||10.42%|
|Steven KNOWLES 4.21%||170||4.21%|
In Ward 15 (Flamborough), Judi Partridge retained her seat with 69.2 percent of the vote. Neil Bos came second with the other 30.8 percent.
|Judi PARTRIDGE 69.23%||3879||69.23%|
|Neil BOS 30.77%||1724||30.77%|
The new Council will begin its four-year term on December 1, 2014.
|Ward 1||Aidan Johnson|
|Ward 2||Jason Farr|
|Ward 3||Matthew Green|
|Ward 4||Sam Merulla|
|Ward 5||Chad Collins|
|Ward 6||Tom Jackson|
|Ward 7||Scott Duvall|
|Ward 8||Terry Whitehead|
|Ward 9||Doug Conley|
|Ward 10||Maria Pearson|
|Ward 11||Brenda Johnson|
|Ward 12||Lloyd Ferguson|
|Ward 13||Arlene Vanderbeek|
|Ward 14||Robert Pasuta|
|Ward 15||Judi Partridge|
The Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board will have some new faces around the Trustee table as some incumbents decided not to run for re-election.
|Ward 1 and 2||Christine Bingham|
|Ward 3||Larry Pattison|
|Ward 4||Ray Mulholland|
|Ward 5||Todd White|
|Ward 6||Kathy Archer|
|Ward 7||Dawn Danko|
|Ward 8||Wes Hicks|
|Ward 9 and 10||Jeff Beattie|
|Ward 11 and 12||Alex Johnstone|
|Ward 13 and 14||Greg Van Geffen|
|Ward 15||Penny Deathe|
You must be logged in to comment.
There are no upcoming events right now.
Why not post one?